Tuesday, May 13, 2008

do you Google Doc the talk?

So you think you have a problem tracking different countless (hopelessly lost in the midst) versions of word, excel, powerpoint files sent via the monstrous (flooded) email.

Well, fret not because you’re so not alone. (On the side note) I’ve been a fan of gmail for whatever reason you don’t wanna know. And the truth is perhaps I’ve been embracing the wonders of Google Docs for the longest time (ever since I landed in poly). So basically, I personally feel it’s like somewhat a earlier version before the ever-so-praised wiki came onboard. Call me traditional, but as much as I would certainly like to try out and be in the wiki craze, I would still like to be loyal to the great ol’ Google Docs & Spreadsheets- ‘cos basically it did helped heaps: surviving dreadful cashflow spreadsheets for my finance in poly & securing not-the-last-position when it came to computer analysis tool (that silly CAT module) a semester ago in smu – specifically @ SIS.

Oh wells, Goggle’s invention does save time, money, hassle, complaints by a significant bit. Why? 1) Keeps current docs, 2) allows updates for invited guests (don’t worry about terriorists who might hijack the heat-soul-sweat projects), 3) coordination could be better facilitated (else why use Google Doc in the first place, right?). Yeah, I guess this tool will help me (in a way) if you’re considering the matter on “personal knowledge management” or PKM. In addition to the sch-project-stuff, I can even check my personal to-do list from basically anywhere (with my lappy and connection) or even, help facilitate group discussions (penned down of ‘cos, virtually).

But you know, enough of singing praises of this tool. The only problem I encountered is that it does not really work well for synchronous editing, meaning to say a lot of people can basically sit and watch while one poor ass edits; otherwise hurhur all the edits don’t get saved anyway. So yes, the challange here – programmes that allow for simultaneous editing of docs online.

I hope wiki solves it (i have to check it out either way, soon).
Or else... what can i say
I leave you with the most sought after vid of the KM season.
watch it


No comments: